Wednesday, February 6, 2013

How I started writing :0)

                                               
                                               How I started writing :0)




My grandfather was a playwright and died when I was 5 years old. He was sleeping at our house in Ireland, Dublin to be exact and Mom sent me into wake him for dinner. Well that was the last I saw of him as he had died in his sleep. My father never encouraged me to write or my mother...yet my favorite pastime as a kid was telling stories and escaping into my own make believe world. A world where I was in control, free to roam the wild, wild, world of my deep imagination.
For years, I would watch others and make up stories in my head about them, but never wrote them down. I had no mentor growing up in Ireland. Although I do remember a Uncle Bill My mother’s brother who would visit us once a year and take my brother Niall and I out on field trips to old castle`s and tell us wonderful stories of times past. I loved History
I often wonder if someone had taken an interest in me earlier what might have happened.
Then about 12 years ago, I was in a minor auto accident, (working too much) so I decided to take about 5 weeks of. During that time, I thought about my grandfather and his plays, one play stood out in my memory. It was called “the righteous are bold” The reason I remembered it was after he hand written it his best friend Frank Kearney stole it. Frank ran off to New York with it and it became a hit on Broadway.
My grandfather decided not to pursue the issue as He knew (A) frank would not be able to repeat the stolen success ( B) he would go to his grave knowing the work was not his own. Well I decide to go after Frank and Have my Grandfathers name Put were it belonged. After some research into the Irish Playwrights association, I met with success. They wrote me back to inform me they had changed the name, My Grand Father got the credit after all.
So Long story short after all that I decided I two had the gift of writing and began to write and write anything, nothing, and everything. I wrote on an old Neanderthal “IBM" word processor with prehistoric spell check, then graduated to the world of the Laptop. It was so easy because it was a natural gift...you either have it or you don’t and you make the rules!!!! :0)
Like most writers, I wrote about my past and once that was healed, dealt with, I began to write in the present. I can honestly say I am not influenced by any other writer, while I admire many of them. All my work is my own...besides the world does not need another Dickens, Tom Clancy, or Joyce it needs an original you and me!
So, go for it, have a blast, the world needs your voice, it’s been waiting a long time, and that time is now!

 


1 comment: